Monday, October 6, 2014

Why the Title?

My son and I have always been a fan of Family Matters and the character Steve Urkel.  His quirky clumsiness and antics made us watch rerun after rerun and always go back for more. 



The "did I do that?" phrase has always stuck with me.  Alas, the name was taken, so I decided to stick a "really" in the middle and still be urkelized.  

I have always considered my art rather urkel-like: clumsy and the results just happen by accident.  That is not to say I do not like my art, I do.  I always want to make it perfect, and sometimes edit it so much it ends up in a rolled up paper ball being launched like a Wilt Chamberlain hook shot to the hoop.  There are some pieces I would still like to throw away like the picture my sister liked so much she had it framed much to my chagrin.  It was the first picture I had drawn trees in, and they looked awful; my opinion not hers.  I've gotten used to seeing it on her wall, and don't cringe as much as I used to. 

I love smart phones, and I will admit I am addicted to the camera, although the iPhone I used to have definitely took better shots.  I use my phone to take pictures of WIP (works in progress) which I instantly multi-send to my family.  Most of my art these days is on a 3.5 x 2.5 inch platform, but I really enjoy it.  The Art Trading Card industry has me hooked, and I don't think a day goes by, I am not dabbling something on those tiny cards.  

The intent of this blog is to keep my friends and family abreast of my latest creations as well as throwing in a few smatterings of what interests me today, and show everyone that I "really did do that!"  

1 comment:

  1. It'll be fun to follow you through your art endeavors. :) Congrats on the shiny new blog!

    ReplyDelete