Friday, October 10, 2014

Distressed ATC Cards

So this has been a quiet week as far as art goes.  I've still been doodling in my art journal every night, but not been doing a whole lot of other artsy stuff.

I've always been a fan of distressed looking stuff.  I guess that is why I love old barns so much, especially the ones with the paint peeling off, big holes in the sides, etc.  My sister and I went shopping for something to put her television on a year ago.  I was loving all the faded distressed stuff.  She hated it! LOL ... She likes the bright unblemished wood colours.  I know how distressed inks look on wood, but I wanted to see what they would look like on watercolour paper.

Yesterday I got out my distressed inks and made the backgrounds for several Art Trading Cards that I'll be sending to people to finish.  I think they came out okay. It will be interesting to see what they do to them.  Part of the image got cut off by the scanner; that's why they look smaller.




Tomorrow I plan on trying a "real" watercolour picture.  I've been doing washes on small ATC cards and envelopes, and I'd like to see how it looks on real paper.  On my wish list for Christmas:  an easel so I can do a real picture justice :)  I'll do my best on the table and see what happens.  I think if I pick up the image and rotate it, I can get the wash to work.

It was fun going to Hobby Lobby this past week and helping my sister to pick out a frame for a drawing I did that my mom called dibs on for Christmas.  My half of the gift was the drawing; my sis had to frame it.  I think I got the easy end of the deal.  It came out great.  I'll take a picture of it after she opens it for Christmas.


2 comments:

  1. I wish you were closer to me, Mace! I have an easel I would give you....my sister gave it to me a few years ago and I do not use it very often. It was here in the house and I banished it out to the storage shed because it was in the way too often! I love your watercolor backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I've never used an easel, but I lift and turn my paper often. I love to give a lot of my work generous drips of paint! LOL! But then again....everything that I make is small, so I probably don't need one. I suppose it's necessary for bigger pieces of art.

    I love that you made your ATC backgrounds lite in color. Layering makes layering the other drawings, painting and such, easier. It'll be cool to see how peeps build on the foundation you started. :)

    ReplyDelete